NORTH PACIFIC YEARLY MEETING
POSITION: Ministry and Oversight Committee
Approved October 27, 2007, revised October2008
Job description re-approved, NPYM Steering Committee, January 2009
Revisions approved by Coordinating Committee, April 2013
NOMINATION AND APPROVAL: NPYM Nominating Committee is responsible for fil ing this
committee. Usual y nominations are approved at Annual Session; however, nominations may
also be approved by Coordinating Committee or Executive Committee.
TERM LENGTH: Three years. Members may not serve for more than two consecutive terms
(six years total).
TERM BEGINS: October 1
MEMBERS: This committee includes six people, with at least one person from each Quarterly
Meeting and at least one person who is an Isolated Friend or from a Worship Group. There
should be a balance between people from large and from smal er Meetings. Committee
members should be members of the Religious Society of Friends with good grounding in
Quaker faith and practices, preferably with prior experience on Quarterly or Monthly Meeting
The Clerk of M&O is a member of the Executive Committee. The Clerk or a designated member
of the committee is a member of the Coordinating Committee. The Clerk or a designated
member of the Committee serves on the Annual Session Planning Committee. A member of the
Committee serves as a liaison with the Outreach & Visitation Committee.
REPORTS TO: NPYM Annual Session and Coordinating Committee.
WORKS PRIMARILY WITH: Meetings and Worship Groups, particularly M&O Committees;
Coordinating Committee and Annual Session Planning Committee. May also work with
Quarterly Meeting Ministry & Oversight Committees.
MEETINGS: Face to face at Annual Session, one other in-person meeting annually, and by
conference call as needed.
DEFINITION: Ministry & Oversight serves the Yearly Meeting, fostering the spiritual life and
good order of the Yearly Meeting as a whole and at Annual Session.
Note that “meetings” refers to Monthly Meetings and Preparative Meetings)
• Identify a contact person within each Quarterly Meeting and Monthly Meeting. Maintain
communication with those contacts regarding M&O activities.
• Help meetings be a resource to one another.
• Acknowledging that the Yearly Meeting’s Ministry and Oversight Committee should not
take over the QM M&O functions, this committee shall:
o Receive issues and concerns related to the committee’s charge from Yearly
Meeting committees, Quarterly Meetings, meetings, Worship Groups, and
o Act as a resource for problem solving, working with M&O committees from
meetings or Quarterly Meetings when appropriate.
Position description: Ministry & Oversight Committee – page 1
• Seek a representative from NPYM to attend and represent NPYM at Northwest Yearly
• Inform other NPYM committees about trends and needs within the Yearly Meeting.
• Plan retreats and educational opportunities throughout the Yearly Meeting.
• Work closely with the Outreach & Visitation, Youth, and Discipline Committees. (This
could be by sharing meeting minutes or occasional y having joint committee meetings.)
• Develop and maintain resources on topics vital to the spiritual life and good order of
• Submit a written report to NPYM at Annual Session; provide additional reports to the
Coordinating Committee as needed, in consultation with the Coordinating Committee
• Have one member join the Friend in Residence Committee.
• Plan and carry out M&O functions at Annual Session according to the proposed timeline.
Preparation for Annual Session
• A designated committee member shall:
o Attend al Annual Session Planning Committee meetings.
o Coordinate with the Physical Arrangements Clerk regarding worship spaces
(early morning worship, quiet room if desired) and equipment needs (chairs for
facing bench, etc.)
o Coordinate with the Volunteer Coordinator to staff M&O function needs (plenary
greeters, hospitality table, etc.)
o Work with the Annual Session Program Clerk to arrange worship opportunities
throughout the Annual Session (early morning, afternoon, final Meeting for
• The M&O Committee as a whole shal :
o Fol owing established policy act on requests for financial assistance, using
information from the Registrar, Treasurer, and Monthly Meetings.
o Gather State of the Meeting Reports and work with the Presiding Clerk to present
them at Annual Session.
o Arrange the Meeting for Memorials.
o Work with the Interest Group Coordinator to develop any interest groups M&O
feels are necessary.
During Annual Session
• Assist with Annual Session functions such as welcoming and hospitality.
• Provide orientation for first-time attendees.
• Attend to the spiritual needs of individual attendees as needed.
• Provide spiritual and other support to the Annual Session Children’s Program
Coordinating Team as needed.
• Oversee volunteers who wil be greeters at plenary sessions.
• Close the final Meeting for Worship.
After Annual Session
• Prepare a report and evaluation of M&O part of Annual Session, to be submitted to the
General Arrangement Clerk by August 21.
EXPENSES & TRAVEL: Reimbursement is provided for office expenses (long distance phone
calls, postage, copying, etc.). Travel expense is reimbursed according to the NPYM travel
Position description: Ministry & Oversight Committee – page 2
reimbursement policy. Submit al expenses, with receipts to the NPYM Treasurer in a timely
fashion. Submit expenses related to Annual Session, with receipts, as soon as possible and no
later than August 31.
Position description: Ministry & Oversight Committee – page 3